Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Winter

There has been snow LRC* this winter here in Vancouver which was kinda cool at first. But then more and more of it kept coming unrelentlessley and just started to become an inconvenience for everyone. I have spent countless hours digging mine and other people's cars out of the snow, and then the next day I have to do it again because it snowed even more. But for now it is starting to rain alot which is awesome for once because it will help get rid of it faster. Alot of stuff has happened in my life which I will serenade you with in a second but im going to divide it into 3 major things that has happened. Christmas, boxing day, and new years. There are alot of funny things that have happened in between but I don't want to bore anyone to death with my boring life so ill keep it short but sweet.

- making a home-made sled out of a giant sign on the side of a road that actually worked insanely good.

- tieing a rope to the back of my car and taking turns pulling eachother in a wheel-chair on the road (we had saftey pads by the way)

- wearing a fancy tuxedo to a hole in the wall vegetarian restaurant.

- and finally, Trevor getting super intense into a board game and accidently throwing a question wheel like a frisbee directly into Lennea's face and splitting her lip.

Christmas

Christmas this year we spent over at my aunt and uncles house with my three little cousins like we do every year. It was pretty sweet and we exchanged gifts. I got some pretty cool stuff but more importantly I was excited to give people the cool presents I got them from south america which they really liked (I hope). I got two of my little cousins soccer jerseys from Ecuador and Peru which they really liked because they are into soccer. Then some peruvian bags and sweaters and I got my uncle this really cool Knife I bought in a merket in Ecuador. The coolest part of the christmas was that my little cousins got the game rock band. So the whole afternoon all we did was play that game. I was slaying on the guitar and by the end my fingers were acutally pretty sore from all the wicked solos I was doing haha. After then we headed to my grandads to exchange more gifts with my mom and little brothers who came down from Squamish. My mom got me a pretty wicked snowboard jacket that was insanely expensive but shes awesome like that. After all was said and done I went to a movie with my friend Melissa where we saw the most depressing movie I have ever seen called 7 pounds with Will Smith. Good movie just depressing as hell.

Boxing Day

It was boxing day with heavy snowfall, my friend Alex and myself went downtown to head to a skateboard shop that was having a huuuge boxing day sale with some wicked deals. I bought another longboard deck and bearings so I can ride around in the wet and not worry about ruining my stuff, and save my nicer stuff for the sunny days to come. Alex bought a whole new setup for super cheap. We got some food and meant to head our separate ways as I headed for the skytrain only to see hundreds of people waiting for it and then I heard an announcement come on the PA that said they were having serious technical problems and didn't have an estimated time for when they would start running again. Luckily for me Alex hadn't made it too far away and got stalled because a bus woul'dt stop to pick him up because it had too many passengers. I called him to tell him what happened and went to meet up with him so we could head back to his place and wait until I could get home. On my way to meet Alex a few blocks away, I crossed the street when a guy in his 30's made a comment that my board was cool and I told him thanks and that I had just got a pretty good deal on it. I didn't think anything of it just then but when he started making small talk and dragging the conversation on about nonsense, I noticed he had a slight flamboyantness(probably not a word) to him. I could tell that this dude was gay and was totally hitting on me. He asked me stuff like what I was up to tonight and said if im not busy that him and some friends were heading to celebrities (which is a gay club in Vancouver) and that I should join him. He then went on to make comments about how hes Bi and just likes having fun and stuff. He asked what I do for work and I told him construction and acting and he told me that I was definelty attractive enough for acting and stuff. He made me type his phone number into my phone and told me to call him if I was gonna come and if I wasn't that we could hang out another time. I didn't know wether to be creeped out or flattered. I think it was a little bit of both. After me and Alex headed back to his place we just hung out the whole day and when it was finally time for me to try the skytrains again I thought for sure they would be running by midnight. So I took bus from Alex's all the way into downtown and waited at the skytrain stop in the cold snow for about 45 minutes and no train. Apparently they were running but stopped again due to a completely unrelated matter. So i had to head back to Alex's to spend the night. Fuckin transit.

New Years

For new years eve a couple friends and I went to some fancy jazz club where we had this pretty nice vip section all to ourselves. The event costed about $25 which included live music and champagne, (stupid cuz I dont even drink) and some sweet dancing which was mostly just ourselves. The whole night was alright nothing spectactular. My friend David got super drunk which was pretty entertaining. We headed back to Alex's where I rested my head. But the next morning, oh yeah thats what it was all about. The polar bear swim! I was up bright and early looking forward to a hardy breakfast to get us in shape for a morning dip in the pacific ocean with snowfilled beaches. As we headed down our friend David backed out at the last minute, which I kinda suspected would happen. But Alex and myself do this every year, it is tradition for us. We headed to the beach of English bay where we saw maybe like a 1000 something people about to do this. As it got close to the time to jump in it didn't seem like many were in bathing suits and ready to go in, maybe like 50 people. When it got to be about 5 minutes to, we saw hundreds of people coming to line up to run in. Me and Alex were at the very front because we didn't know we were standing in the runup area, hence why we didnt see everyone yet. Camera crews filled the front line staring at us in the opposite direction as we got ready to run in. Apparently some friends of mine saw me on the news when it aired because there was a ctv or whoever pointed right in my face before we were about to rush in. The best part was everyone was soo rowdy and ready to go that when the guy trying to organize it began to count down from 20, everyone already started to rush in when he got to about 10 seconds. Myself and Alex being some of the first. Sure it was cold and I felt like I couldn't breath, but the hardest part is trying to get back out. Being some of the first people in your face with hundreds of people stampeding in your direction to get in and as you try and get out and will stampede over you. After I got out It didn't seem that cold at all and was actually quite nice. I remember it being a million times colder the previous year.

All in all stuff was pretty fun these past few weeks and I look forward to 2009. Something big will happen for me I can feel it. You'll see. Other than all that I have been trying to setup a dodgeball team to enter into an official dodgeball league for about february. The only difficult part is the team must consist of 6 players, 2 of which need to be girls. We have enough guys but we just can't find any girls who are down to play dodgeball. So if you read this and are/know a girl who wants to join our team let me know. Other than that thanks for reading ill try and post up mosr blogs as soon as im not too lazy.

*LRC-left,right,center

- Justen Ortiz

1 comment:

H2Olex said...

well well i must say I am impressed. I see both my name mentioned [more than once!] AND use of the ever-popular LRC! well done!